Re: Electrification and patronage

Clinton

Whilst I have travelled the DMUs myself on various occasions and found the
service clean I also found it slow and relative to other states -
substandard.

The lack of commitment to rail is best evidenced by Keswick railway station
where if someone wants to change from an interstate train to a suburban
train they have to walk up and over a bridge and along one block.

I don't recall whether there was wheelchair access to this station however I
do recall a steep set of stairs and no ramps.

Is this the case?

If so this may be a case of discrimination against people in wheelchairs who
require easy access between the two stations.

Has SA got has a disability discrimination act? Whilst I am not disabled
myself there may be a number of readers who are, and who are disadvantaged
by this arrangement.

cheers Peter

clinton + diane smith <cdsmith@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a0a8f7f$0$19405$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a0a8f7f$0$19405$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> WfON5.130337$bI6.5101587@news1.giganews.com">news:WfON5.130337$bI6.5101587@news1.giganews.com...
> > "Peter Berrett" <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> > SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...
> > >

> > The South Australian government is not interested in railways. Whether
or
> > not this is because of the Adelaide public's indifference to rail
travel,
> or
> > the indifference is due to the attitude of the government and a lack of
> > services, is something for a Ph.D. thesis.
> >
> > > It would be great to see broad gauge emus running on Adelaide's tracks
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Hi guys
>
> Just returned from a week in Adelaide. Used train from Belair to city four
> times, Outer Harbour and Gawler once each. Travelled both peak and off
peak
> and found the trains clean, comfortable, on time and well patronised. At a
> guess, the peak loadings would be around 85-90%. Trains generally ran as
two
> dmus' and Gawler ran as four dmus', all full. Ticket inspector(s) on all
> trains checking for validated tickets. Overall a good experience but
better
> frequency would be good. If electrification had the same effect in
Adelaide