Re: Airport rail link

"Alex Pout" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3a08ea38$0$19404$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a08ea38$0$19404$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> But is there some psychological problem there with running 24 hours?  I

There's some maintenance done on the system out of hours, but the system ran
24 hours last New Year's Eve, so it can be done.

> remember both reading about the massive taxi shortages on weekend
mornings,
> when everyone is heading home, and having to wait for 2 hours for a taxi
at
> 3am.  Even if the trains and trams had only run 24 hours on Friday and

The most I've waited for a taxi on a Friday or Saturday night around 2:30am
was about 15 minutes at the front of Crown or Flinders Street Station.

> Saturday nights, it would have been a major help for a lot of people.  Or
> maybe the taxi industry enjoyed the monopoly on after hours transport???

I'm sure they'd prefer there not to be too much late night transport.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au