Re: Airport rail link

Michael <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
8FE6A0734gunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:8FE6A0734gunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
> Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in article
> <3a08dd6c$0$19413$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:
>
> >I forgot to mention that my other problem with Melbourne's public
> >transport was the lack of 24 hour running.  Even in Newcastle, I can
> >catch a train home at 4 in the morning after a night out, whereas in
> >Melbourne, it was time to shell out a cab fee home.
>
> Don't see it happening under the current contracts. All timetable changes
> implemented so far, including those about to hit in the next week or so,
> are all part of the operators contracts - i.e. don't implement these
> timetable changes, and you'll cop a fine. 24 hour running is not in the
> contracts.

But is there some psychological problem there with running 24 hours?  I
remember both reading about the massive taxi shortages on weekend mornings,
when everyone is heading home, and having to wait for 2 hours for a taxi at
3am.  Even if the trains and trams had only run 24 hours on Friday and
Saturday nights, it would have been a major help for a lot of people.  Or
maybe the taxi industry enjoyed the monopoly on after hours transport???