Re: Airport rail link

Michael <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
8FE6A43AAgunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:8FE6A43AAgunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
> Geelong needs to be electrified ASAP and integrated into the suburban
> network, even if it's zone 3 past Werribee. For the amount of people who
> use the Geelong to Melbourne corridor each day, be it by train, car, or
> otherwise, the service (or lack thereof) that Geelong recieves is
pathetic.
> Additionally, frequencies are shithouse, and the times that services
finish
> each night are abortional. Weekdays something stupid like 9:30pm and
> weekends something even more stupid like 8:30pm.

Yes, I totally agree with the Geelong (perhaps even to the old Breakwater
platform) Electrification! For one thing, the frequency could be increased
as you require less staff and pay less for fuel. Another thing is that
running times (compared to loco hauled) would benefit due to the superior
acceleration of Electric Sets (let's face it, N class were never designed
for stop/start running).
This proposal would also alleviate a lot of problems caused by lack of
motive power/rolling stock (i.e.. delays at Spencer St waiting for a loco).
AFAIK, one of the things holding NXP back from introducing more regional
services is lack of Motive power/Rolling stock.
The service could be:
During the day: Every 15 mins to Werribee via Altona and ever 30 mins to
Geelong via Paisley (one of those extended to South Geelong).
Early morning/Weekend services could all run via Altona...

I think we need one ground rule though: NO HITACHI SETS BEYOND WERRIBEE!!!

Sam