Re: Airport rail link

Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in article
<3a08e9ae$0$19425$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>Even when I first arrived in Melbourne, and lived in St Kilda, I hardly
>ever went into the city (and did use the trains/trams to do so).  Having
>to go to the city to change did deter me from going on more rides on
>trains though, say out to Stony Point or Werribee.  Of course, coming
>from the Cityrail area originally, it also surprised me that there were
>no trains like V-sets or even Endeavours (ie commuter type trains) to
>get from Melbourne to Geelong.

Geelong is an interesting point. They do have endeavour type trains now -
Sprinters. But as far as Geelong corridor patronage goes, Sprinters just
don't cut the butter.

Geelong needs to be electrified ASAP and integrated into the suburban
network, even if it's zone 3 past Werribee. For the amount of people who
use the Geelong to Melbourne corridor each day, be it by train, car, or
otherwise, the service (or lack thereof) that Geelong recieves is pathetic.
Additionally, frequencies are shithouse, and the times that services finish
each night are abortional. Weekdays something stupid like 9:30pm and
weekends something even more stupid like 8:30pm.

For what it's worth, it will bring great growth to Geelong and the corridor
from Geelong to Werribee. Geelong is also a similar distance from Melbourne
to Frankston. Geelong suburban/local services, similar to Newcastle would
be of use too.

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME