Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

Peter Homann wrote:

> Displaying the image at 75% (or any %age) doesn't change one fact: the
> whole *original* image must be downloaded.
> That is to say, you might instruct the browser to display a 900x600 image
> at 600x400, but the full 900x600 image is still downloaded.
> While that deals with the people who can't or won't change their
> resolution, is doesn't help the people with *slow* links.
> (Says he with cable, so nothing is slow!).

If I had 100mb, I would be more than happy to provide a thumbnail, a
small photo for those who want it and a large photo for those who want
that. However, I don't have 100mb so I have to make a choice as to what
is more important. When I created my site, I decided to provide high
quality photos as no other site did that for Victoria's railways. While
this may not please everyone, I do know that some people like the higher
resolution. Other people have fast connections, so it doesn't really
matter to them. If anyone has a slow connection and is unhappy with the
performance of my site, the choices are simple:

1. Don't bother with my high quality photos and download the video
   captures instead (available through the news section).
2. Upgrade your modem to 33.6 or higher (If you don't already have a
   fast modem or cable).
3. Change to another ISP (If you are with a slow ISP).
4. Put up with the slow speed.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: