Re: (TGR) L and M class Garratts

In article <8h20ft$dlo$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, The Oracle
<ianadunn@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> John Dennis wrote:
>>
>> > Bad form to follow-up your own posting, I know, but a little
>> > research has discovered that the M class were 4-4-2+2-4-4
>> > 8-cylinder compounds.
>
>Correction here: the M class were 8-cylinder simples (2 x 4-cyl
>engine units). The mechanism was not complicated, since the
>inside valves were actuated by simple rocker mechanisms from
>the outside Walschaerts-operated valves.

My mistake.  I saw the annotation "8-cylinder" and made an
assumption they were compounds.  In fact it turns out there were
only two designs of compound garratts.  The very first garratt
built, 2' gauge K class of Tasmania, with 2 locomotives, and the
Burma Railways class GA II of 1927 which had bua single
representative.

It would seem that weight of opinion is along the lines of power
and speed.

Cheers...JD

--
John Dennis