Re: (TGR) L and M class Garratts

Hi James

I will check for you, but with the Ms it may have been their speed- I
believe they were involved in a few accidents.  Also I believe the
valve or motion gear (I know zip about steam locos) was very complex
and this caused problems.

The Ls I am not sure of.  It may have been a problem with low speed- I
believe they had fairly small wheels ?

Anyway the TGR veered decisively away from Garratts in their orders
from then on- the Qs and Rs were far more conventional.

Did you check out Butrim's book 'Australia's Garratt' ? or Thomas
Cooley's 'Railroading in Tasmania'.  Both are a bit suspect in some
areas but may offer hints.

Cheers

Ben

> I have read most of what has been published about the TGR L and M
class
> Garratts, and they all say that they were not regarded as a success.
>
> But none of the references I have read have said why they were not
> regarded as a success.
>
> Any thoughts on their perceived lack of success ?
>
> --
> DPC James McInerney

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.