Re: Steam builds for Alice to Darwin rail link

In article <KmjY4.273$mQ5.358059@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Steam builds for Alice to Darwin rail link
>Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 01:04:42 GMT

>T & J Jones (jonest@senet.com.au) wrote:
>> > I sure hope that there is more, a lot more than 1 train a day.
>> > This line will need around 30 trains a day to simply break even,let alone
>> earn
>> > the projected 18% return after tax ,estimated by the consortium.
>> > $700 M of private capital for 1 train a day ,you gotta be kidding.

>> 30 trains a day.  What other interstate line carries 30 freight freight
>> trains daily??

>Where does the 30 trains a day figure come from?

>Cheers
>David

None do ,and thats why all other interstate lines had to built and paid for in
their entirety by Govts ,both Federal & State.
Expecting the private sector to build a $700M rail line to carry 1 train per
day is economic stupidity.
But to explain where the 30 trains per day come from.

Capital investment of the consortium is $700 M ,(the Govts Fed and State pay
the rest.)
To acheive an 18% return on investment after tax requires $163.8 million in
income from the new line per annum.
As the consortiums income will be from track access charges,(I have assumed
charges similar to ARTCs of 0.25 c per GTK).
If the consortium charges much higher than this then there will be no trains
at all, as all the freight will go by truck.
To achieve a return of $163.8 million PA from track access charges ,we need a
total of 65 billion GTK, PA over the line.

A 1000 tonne train from Tarcoola to Darwin will generate 2.3 Million GTK so we
need 28260 1000 tonne trains per annum ,which is arond 78 trains per day.
As its likely that the trains will be more than 1000 tonnes, I have assumed
2500 tonnes as thats what operators like NRC seem to like running,which gives
31.2, 2500 tonne trains per day.
Even if we run 5000 tonne trains (difficult with 1:50 grades north of AP and
north of Katherine) we still need 16 trains per day.
This project is simply not viable unless the Govts (State and the Feds) pay
the whole of the construction costs,or guarantee the revenue base for the
Consortium over the 50 year life span of the project.

One train per day would generate enough revenue to cover the running costs and
maintenance costs,but not the capital cost.

MD