Re: New questions for rail experts

> 1. On each platform there is a blue light called the "guards indicator".
>    What is its purpose, and why does it turn on and off?

A guards indicator lets the guard know that the signal is showing a
proceed indication.  If the signal was a stop the driver could not go,
and the guard would shut the doors and the train sit there until the
signal changes.  The other reason is that the guard might shut the
doors, give the departure bell and then the driver take off forgetting
the signal is at stop, and then the next question come into effect.

Guard indicators can still be found in Melbourne, but we don't require a
little sign saying what they are.  Have a look at the City Loop
stations, Box Hill and a few other major stations.  (we had no need to
put them at every station, just stations with hard to see HOME signals)

> 2. On the tracks every 50 metres or so is a metal switch-thing that
>    is up after a train has passed, then flips down when the train is
>    a safe distance ahead. Presuming this causes a following train to
>    brake if it goes over it while up, why doesn't the train that
>    set it up in the first place get caught when its last carraiges
>    go over it? (unless of course it's the last carriage that sets it up!)

Train stops, if a electric train (diesel are not fitted with the trip
arm) passes a signal at stop the train stop will hit the trip arm
dumping all the air from the breaks and the train will stop.  In Sydney
for some stupid reason they sometimes have catch points after the
signal, so after a train passes through the signal at stop, the breaks
are applied and if the train is going too fast then it will get
de-railed as well.  If you ask me it is totally stupid to have catch
points on a main line.  That is why Sydney had so many derailments, and
Melbourne only has SPADS, or the odd crash where a train is doing like
130 km/h through a red signal and crashed into the back of another train
(Sydney station accident about 10+ years ago).

> 3. Why don't guards shut up and let passengers relax/sleep? Do we
>    really need to be constantly told where the train that we deliberately
>    caught is going?  Inter-urban services are usually quite considerate
>    in this respect, but city trips can be a barrage of repititious
>    chatter, and is totally unneccesary.

We have no problems with guards in Melbourne talking only drivers but
only at the major stations/junctions where it is needed.  Hillside Train
will have automatic PA announcements fitted to the re-furbished Comeng
trains and the new trains.

(Last question left to the Sydney people to go on and on and on and on
and on about their V sets)

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig