New questions for rail experts

1. On each platform there is a blue light called the "guards indicator".
   What is its purpose, and why does it turn on and off?

2. On the tracks every 50 metres or so is a metal switch-thing that
   is up after a train has passed, then flips down when the train is
   a safe distance ahead. Presuming this causes a following train to
   brake if it goes over it while up, why doesn't the train that
   set it up in the first place get caught when its last carraiges
   go over it? (unless of course it's the last carriage that sets it up!)

3. Why don't guards shut up and let passengers relax/sleep? Do we
   really need to be constantly told where the train that we deliberately
   caught is going?  Inter-urban services are usually quite considerate
   in this respect, but city trips can be a barrage of repititious
   chatter, and is totally unneccesary.

4. What's a "V" set that people on this list always talk about?
   (Another name for a Tangara, taken from the shape of the 4th and 5th
    carriages in a set of 8 cars?)

--

Greg Cantori   greg@mpx.com.au  and  gcantori@hcf.com.au
The Griper