Re: New questions for rail experts

greg@mpx.com.au (Greg Cantori) wrote in
<392a7311$0$2628@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>1. On each platform there is a blue light called the "guards indicator".
>   What is its purpose, and why does it turn on and off?

No idea. We don't have guards down in Melbourne, therefore I am not
qualified to answer this question.

>2. On the tracks every 50 metres or so is a metal switch-thing that
>   is up after a train has passed, then flips down when the train is
>   a safe distance ahead. Presuming this causes a following train to
>   brake if it goes over it while up, why doesn't the train that
>   set it up in the first place get caught when its last carraiges
>   go over it? (unless of course it's the last carriage that sets it up!)

This is known as the train stop. It interfaces with the signal and the
train trip to effectively give a full brake application as a train passes a
signal at stop. The trip is attached to the bogie of the train and gets
pushed up in the event of it contacting with a train stop that's positioned
for "stop". There are also speed trips, which is another story... Not sure
where they may be applied in NSW, but Melbourne has them in the City Loop.
They interface with the track circuit and are timed to drop at the time a
train would pass at a certain speed - if a train goes too fast, it will
beat the timeout and trip on the train stop.

>3. Why don't guards shut up and let passengers relax/sleep? Do we
>   really need to be constantly told where the train that we deliberately
>   caught is going?  Inter-urban services are usually quite considerate
>   in this respect, but city trips can be a barrage of repititious
>   chatter, and is totally unneccesary.

Cityrail policy presumably. Some guards adhere to this, some overzealous
guards go overboard, the rest don't give a rat's.

>4. What's a "V" set that people on this list always talk about?
>   (Another name for a Tangara, taken from the shape of the 4th and 5th
>    carriages in a set of 8 cars?)

V set is an interurban train, the ones with the manual door and a small
single deck section. As used on the Dapto, Lithgow, Katoomba and Newcastle
services.

Regards

Michael