Re: New questions for rail experts

Greg Cantori wrote:

> 1. On each platform there is a blue light called the "guards indicator".
>    What is its purpose, and why does it turn on and off?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it has something to do with the signal ahead
of the train. If the guards light is on, they have to give the driver the ok
to proceed. If its off, the driver has to wait for a green signal ahead.

> 2. On the tracks every 50 metres or so is a metal switch-thing that
>    is up after a train has passed, then flips down when the train is
>    a safe distance ahead. Presuming this causes a following train to
>    brake if it goes over it while up, why doesn't the train that
>    set it up in the first place get caught when its last carraiges
>    go over it? (unless of course it's the last carriage that sets it up!)

Dunno about this one.

> 3. Why don't guards shut up and let passengers relax/sleep? Do we
>    really need to be constantly told where the train that we deliberately
>    caught is going?  Inter-urban services are usually quite considerate
>    in this respect, but city trips can be a barrage of repititious
>    chatter, and is totally unneccesary.

The guards on the Urbans are quite good. You will have the odd one who
broadcasts at about 500Db.  If the guards didn't make announcements, then too
many ppl would complain (as they already do).

> 4. What's a "V" set that people on this list always talk about?
>    (Another name for a Tangara, taken from the shape of the 4th and 5th
>     carriages in a set of 8 cars?)

That would be the InterUrban trains. They are the greatest train in Australia

--
Anita Lukaszyk
neety@ozemail.com.au