Re: The Ultimate Challenge - Travel by CityRail for a Week !

David,

Did I say express (as in NO stops) or essentially express? I am aware of the
signs you are talking about. I appreciate the need for trains to stop at
selected major junctions or business centres on the way to pick up passengers.
That always has and will be the case. The point I am making is this:- the
passengers out the outer ends of the suburban networks (Penrith, Waterfall,
Hornsby) do nothing but complain when the intercitys don't stop at their
station. In the 1980's the move was made to run trains express through these
stations to free up seats for people who genuinely need them. This should be the

practice now. I work with people from the Central Coast, the South Coast and the

Blue Mountains and they often complain that they have to stand at least to the
outer ends of the suburban network because the seats are taken by suburban
travellers who have many alternative services to choose from and don't have to
pay as much for a weekly ticket.

Glenn