Re: Austrains site update and GST.

On Sat, 13 May 2000 13:57:38 +1000, "Werris Creek"
<werriscreek@bigpond.com.au> wrote:

>Darryl Britton wrote in message
><391cbd27$0$31523@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>>Werris
>>
>>Yep I understand that it is law but it just gives me the s###s that through
>>no fault of the customer we have to pay out more of our limited modelling
>>dollars to cover it.....
>

>Darryl
>
>Yeah, it is always the consumer who ends up paying.

In theory, those who have prepaid should receive a refund with their
loco as the price they have already paid should have included 22.5%
sales tax, which will no longer apply after 1st July, only GST.
Prices of model trains SHOULD be reduced somewhat, but I advise you
not to hold your breath while waiting, as I doubt if it will actually
happen.

This is how I understand it is supposed to work,  I am probably wrong,
but should not be too far out.

Guesstimation of pricing

Current way
Wholesale price			200.00
Sales tax   22.5%			 45.00       = $245.00

Retailer profit      say 25%				61.00

					Price you pay    $306

Post GST
Wholesale price			200.00
GST					  20.00		= $220.00

Retailer profit      say 25%				       55.00
based on old profit margin as I believe they are allowed to retain the
same ratio, & not use the less tax price
							=$275.00
GST							       27.50

					Total                  $302.50

		Theoretical difference in your favour        $   3.50
     As I said,  don't hold your breath waiting for a refund.

Retailer only sends $7.50 to tax ripoff merchants as he has already
paid $20 to the wholesaler, who should have already paid it to said
ripoff merchants.

   Not being the trusting type, I believe all prices will go up by
about 15%,  if so, I stop buying, retailer loses sales of about $500
pa and I have almost enough cash to pay all the other increases on
essentials like electricity, water, rates etc.       My standard of
living will go down dramatically as I am a self funded retiree and the
1.2% increase in my income over the last two years has long ago been
offset by govt. charges, higher petrol prices and tax.   Whoop-de-doo,
my tax bill may go down to zero from $49.50 with the new rates, most
generous.
Alan

in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz

www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/index.htm