Re: Steam Locomotive B/N 1

A Bundaberg Fowler 0-6-2T built under license to John Fowler & Co., Leeds,
England by Bundaberg Foundry in 1952 is their B/n 1 and still in existence.
This 18ton locomotive was originally named RIVERSTONE and was supplied to
the Mulgrave Central Sugar Mill, Gordonvale (about 20km south of Cairns).
The Millaquin Sugar Company purchased the locomotive from Mulgrave Mill in
1955 when Mulgrave Mill dieselised its locomotive fleet in one go with the
purchase of 5 new diesel locomotives (a brave move in those days!).
RIVERSTONE became No.1 at Millaquin sugar mill, Bundaberg (just across the
river from whence it was "born"). No.1 worked at Millaquin until 1975 when
it was transferred to the nearby Qunaba sugar mill, also owned by the
Millaquin Sugar Co. (by now the Millaquin Sugar Co. was a wholly owned
subsidiary of the Bundaberg Sugar Co.)
At Qunaba Mill the locomotive became No.5 JUMBO. It was placed out of use in
1980 when all remaining steam locomotives were retired. B/n 1 was returned
to Millaquin Mill where it was preserved at the Bundaberg Rum Distillery
(adjacent to Millaquin Mill and owned by the Millaquin Sugar Co.) in 1981.
The steam locomotives built under license to John Fowler & Co. by the
Bundaberg Foundry were known as Bundaberg Fowlers and this was proclaimed on
the builder's plates. Only eight Bundaberg Fowler steam locomotives were
built before dieselisation set in (a terrible disease from which there is no
recovery!!). You may be seeking any Builder's Number 1 that may be preserved
but it is interesting to note that all 8 Bundaberg Fowler steam locomotives
are preserved. How many builders around the world can lay claim to the fact
that their whole steam locomotive production has been preserved?

David Mewes