Re: {melb} comeg and hitchi

JuliaDarling@mailcity.com (Aussie_Ben) wrote in
<391ba6d3$0$31558@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>i am wondering weather a comeg can ce oupled to a hitachi?
>has it been done? anyone got pics of it?
>i know i am asking alto but it is for an assigment

<standard FAQ response #234326>

Aussie_Ben,

Hitachis use a standard autocoupler, as used on most freight, and
locomotive stock. Comengs use a "Scharfenburg" type coupler.

The Scharfenburg type coupler provides all air and electrical connections
for coupling a Comeng with another Comeng. A Comeng can be coupled to any
autocoupled stock using a special transition coupler, which is stored
beneath the cab. The transition coupler connects directly to the
Scharfenburg, and provides a knuckle for the autocoupler, and air hose
connections. This will allow a Comeng to couple with both a locomotive and
a Hitachi set, as mentioned above.

The transition coupler doesn't provide any electrical connection, therefore
a Comeng and Hitachi don't run together, for this reason. As far as I know,
a speed limit of 60kph also applies while using transition couplings (Can
anyone confirm this one?).

If you are lucky, on the Bendigo, Ballarat, and Broadmeadows-Somerton lines
you will see loco hauled suburban transfers. When Comengs are in tow, of
course, you will see the transition coupler used.

Sorry, I don't have any photos of Comeng-Hitachi sets coupled, or Comeng-
Loco's coupled, but someone here should.

HTH

Michael