Re: [VIC] Suburban ramble tours.

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> : > Is the Upfield to Somerton line available to passenger trains?
>
> : BG booked out at the moment.  Probably wouldn't be booked back in for only
> : one passenger train though.
>
> What are the chances of gettiing an extension from Upfield to Craigieburn?
> (who said it had to go via Broadmeadows first).
>
> It is much shorter to go via Upfield (in terms of the distance from wires
> to Craigieburn).  The once this is up and going, extend back down the line
> from Somerton to Broadmeadows.
>
> Somerton would require a grade seperation (both the road and the BG/SG).

You just answered your own question. Are you going to pay for a grade separation? I'm sure
the government wont and i'm sure the private operators will go the cheapest way.

> : > Spencer Street - Somerton via Upfield
> : > Somerton - Broadmeadows - Albion - Newport Workshops.
> : > Newport Workshops - Spencer Street - Stony Point.
>
> : Path to Stony Point now Crib Point has been defrocked could be non-existant.
>
> Simple leave Frankston once the Stony Point train has sunk the staff and run
> into Long Island.  Why visit Stony Point this coule be done on a normal train
> visit Long Island for something different.  The get down to Maryvale, and other
> sidings around Morwell (brickette one) and off to Hillside.

If you are looking at a weekend there is practically no chance of a run to Stony Point.
When I was in timetables we had enough trouble finding room for the Long Island. Weekdays
are not much better. (This is due to short sighted management reducing the crossing
locations on this line.)

It appears to me that many of the management decisions over the last few years have had
the side effect of limiting opportunities for such a tour anywhere in Victoria.

David G.