[Vic] Tongala smash (was: Freight/Australia troubles multiply!)

There are also more articals in local papers at

http://news.mcmedia.com.au/articles.pl?TakeNo=200005022072711

There is also an artical about new operators working on the Victorian
system at

http://news.mcmedia.com.au/articles.pl?TakeNo=200005022081242

Doug

In article <8ejlqt$mp5$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Doug Mason <dmason@deakin.edu.au> wrote:
> It would come as no surprise to me that there was a vehicle hit by a
> train on that line as everyone does not really look.  There was an
> article in a local paper about this, which might shed some light on
it.

> http://news.mcmedia.com.au/articles.pl?TakeNo=200005012052794
>
> Does anyone know what was on the train?
>
> Doug.
>
> In article <390CCC2E.C27D9793@mbox.com.au>,
>   clinton smith <cdsmith@mbox.com.au> wrote:
> > hi there guys + gals,
> > does any one know which level crossing this happened at??
> > i grew up in the area and recall in the days of a regular goods and
> pass service
> > an altercation between a tip truck and a goods. the truck was rather
> sad as a
> > result as were several goods wagons. the line was reopened quickly
but
> several
> > bogies sat next to the crossing for a few months.
> > even when we had pass [2 up,2 dn] and goods [up,dn] the locals
> invariably
> > ignored crossings. seems a fairly common trait.
> > cheers, clinton
> >
> > Rod Young wrote:
> >
> > > Freight Australia must be wondering what they can possibly do to
> increase
> > > their business, and stop losing their Motive Power.
> > > Last night a Melbourne bound goods from Echuca, diverted to
Seymour
> via
> > > Talamba, struck a truck on a level crossing at Tongala. G523
rolled
> onto its
> > > side  and X39 attempted to follow.
> > > This line is only infrequently used, and Local cars and trucks
> rarely bother
> > > to look anymore. Most crossings are unprotected, I am told.
Despite