Re: Victorian Speed Traps ( was: 3801/30 to ararat )

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:45:39 +1000, "Hoges" <pghogan@NOSPAMbigpond.com>
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I consider this practice to be purely a revenue raising exercise, and highly
>questionable in terms of driver safety.

1.  There is statistical evidence to state that prior to speed cameras, 34%
of motorists exceeded the speed limit on a regular basis; the figure is now
around 8%; from my own observations, I'd say country motorists (including
myself <g!>) have slowed down a lot in the last 10 years;

2.  Long flat stretches of road have a high percentage of "run off the
road" fatigue-type accidents;

3. IIRC, recommended practices for speed camera locations exclude blind
curves and within 400m of a speed restriction sign;  most Mexicans can spot
the speed camera cars easily as they are sited to be easily sighted
('caders tend to get caught more by unmarked cars);  I also believe that
the tolerance at 100 and 110km/h is 7km/h.  At 100km/h, it'll take you 6
minutes to drive the extra 10 km you would have traveled at 110km/h.  If
"the master shot" is worth $105+ to you, that's a value-for-money decision
you have to make;

4.  This form of revenue contribution is entirely voluntary -- you are not
obliged to participate in the revenue gathering process.

Regards

Yuri
--
==================================