Re: Victorian Speed Traps ( was: 3801/30 to ararat )

Yuri wrote:
<snip>>
> 3. IIRC, recommended practices for speed camera locations exclude blind
> curves and within 400m of a speed restriction sign;  most Mexicans can
spot
> the speed camera cars easily as they are sited to be easily sighted
> ('caders tend to get caught more by unmarked cars);

This is fine, but we're talking about after dark!  On a pitch black road,
all we saw was a blinding flash. I am hoping that Rod's explanation (ie a
local cop flashing his high beam as a warning) is correct.  This still
doesn't excuse an unlit car parked off the road suddenly flashing you
head -on in the darkness. If the aim was to keep us awake and avoid fatigue
(or to correct my speed), I'd actually prefer to see a flashing red and blue
light, and be pulled over and warned. At least then I'd be certain who they
were and what I was doing wrong.

 I also believe that the tolerance at 100 and 110km/h is 7km/h.  At 100km/h,
it'll take you 6
> minutes to drive the extra 10 km you would have traveled at 110km/h.  If
> "the master shot" is worth $105+ to you, that's a value-for-money decision
> you have to make;

No argument there -  since they reduced the limit on the winding section of
the F3 down to the Hawkesbury River bridge from 110 km/h to 90 km/h, the
accident rate on this notorious section has dropped by over half. I've timed
the run north, and you only lose a few minutes with the speed reduction.
I would still question why the open road speed limit on a similar stretch of
road (ie good condition, wide shoulders, straight) in Sth Australia and some
areas of NSW is 110, and 100 in Vic. If we're going to effectively police
speed, at least let's be consistent.

> 4.  This form of revenue contribution is entirely voluntary -- you are not
> obliged to participate in the revenue gathering process.

Point taken, but what hurt was the fact that we were trying to drive
sensibly (the "master shots" had all been taken, it was after dark,
remember?)  - the cruise control was the right choice, but our allowance for
tolerance was misplaced!

Cheers,

Paul