Re: cityrail 10 & 12 car trains

"chris@enet21.com.au" <chris@enet21.com.au> writes:

>A couple of years ago there was a mad rush by cityrail in extending
>station platforms for I assume 10 & 12 car trains. I don't see any
>trains of this length in service (8 is the maximum?), so is it because
>of a shortage of rolling stock or unions ?

The platform extensions are in two groups - one is for handling 8-car
intercity trains which are about 50 metres longer than 8-car suburban
trains. Epping [Sydney] is one place where this type of extension has taken
place.

The other group is a series of small extensions to allow for the face that
8-car K sets are longer than other suburban sets by a few metres, and many
older platforms (like Town Hall, but there's no way it can ever be extended
without complete redesign of the 'station box') are not long enough to stand
an 8-car K set end at with the whole train (between the two 'driving faces')
'covered' so to speak.

I'm guessing that the new trains will be the same length as K sets, but at
the moment we don't know any specific design info for them (the new trains).

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport