Re: Why Wooden Sleepers are better.

david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> writes:

>The Railway Rasputin II wrote:

>> Steel are better than concrete. The only problem with that is they are
>> usually hollow and harder to pack.

>Could the steel sleepers be made differently to allow for packing and load ?
>Or do they suffer from rusting ?

>I thought Steel were not favoured for insulation for track sections, and were uses
>for light lines.

The advantage of steel is mainly from a manufacturing point of view. Just
take some steel sheet of the right thickness and use a special press jig to
punch out the right shaped formation.

I guess they are also suitable in extremely dry areas where rusting won't be
a problem, since in Sydney they would suffer from a lot of rust, especially
places close to salt water bodies like the Cronulla line, etc.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport