Re: Why Wooden Sleepers are better. Was [NSW] CityRail Delays Friday

Concrete sleepers have other advantages over timber ones.
1. You don't need to chop down trees - this may suprise some people who think they magically appear out
of nowhere. (the railways in Australia, are partly responsible for deforesting much of Australia - think
of all those wooden sleepers used since 1854 )
2. Cost less to produce.
3. Termite resistant.- termites don't eat concrete (not yet)
4. Don't burn.
5. last longer.
6. Don't rot.
7. Look better, we are in the 21 century, not the 19th.

The other alternative is steel sleepers, which seems to be not used in Australia, except on iron ore
lines and on BHP lines.

Chris