Re: Why Wooden Sleepers are better. Was [NSW] CityRail Delays Friday

The main south has some steel sleepers and we were all amazed when we
saw them. A close look revealed a rubber "biscut" acting as insulation
for the track circut.

I have often thought of different ways of making sleepers whilst trying
to control the jack hammer when I was packing.
The steel sleepers look roughly    __I___________I__
				  /                 \ (cross section)

My thought was to have a bottom welded to the sleeper or similar
and hollow inside.  		   __I___________I__

rgds