Re: [NSW] Who's got the worst trains

In article <38DB533D.AF16181C@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:36:29 +1100
>From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: [NSW] Who's got the worst trains

>Brown Family wrote:

>> BZZT! REALITY CHECK!!!
>> NSW has the worst reputation, at the moment, for rail services (or
>> lack of) in Australia and all you guys are doing is arguing about
>> where the deckchairs are going.

>Lack of services?  Been to Belair lately?

>> Give us a break or get down to Victoria or go to Queensland to see how
>> real railways are run.

>Every time I go to Victoria, I amazed at how pathetic their system is.  When I go
>to Queensland, I am always impressed.  NSW seems to be in the middle between the
>two.  South Australia is a joke that doesn't enter into the equation!

>--
>David Johnson
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
>------------------------------------
>These comments are made in a private
>capacity and do not represent the
>official view of State Rail.
>C.O.W.S. Page 11.

As far as Adelaides trains go ,the trains themselves are quite good to travel
in,they go quite fast and usually run on time.
The only real downside is the service , or lack of it.
The Belair line is certainly the worst for number of trains,but having only a
single line really doesnt help.
Adelaides train services are really stuffed from the perspective that one of
the growth areas of the population is in the Adelaide Hills east of Belair
where there is a perfectly good railway line (SG of course) but no suburban
service.There used to be a suburban service to Bridgewater.
Realistically,you could easily run a suburban service as far as Mt Barker or
Nairne these days, there are enuf people to warrant it.
There isnt anything actually stopping the STA from running SG trains and most
of the old BG platforms between Belair and Nairne still exist,of course this
is totally contrary to the wonderful pro rail  SA Govt.

In a sense this is a similar problem to what QR have got south of Acacia ridge
with suburbs like Algester and Greenbank.

MD