Re: [NSW] V set Destination Indicators

Michael Kurkowski wrote in message
<8EFB8DE6FtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net>...

>>A working (and correct) indicator on the train should be mandatory
>>unless EVERY station can be fitted with indicators which can be clearly
>>seen from all along the platform and work for every train whether the
>>station is manned or not and are completely clear as to the destination
>>of the next train.
>
>Correct, Melbourne are almost there. There's still the occasional train
>that doesn't show it's destination, BUT it only really seems to happen on
>lines that you don't really have a choice. Even then, I haven't seen any
>lately. Why is it that Melbourne can get their desto's correct in the
>1920's but Sydney still can't get it right in 2000? (Okay, it's not the new
>millennium yet, nor century. That happens at the end of _this_ year).

The area of passenger information is one area in which Melbourne has
excelled, and for quite a considerable period as well. The information
phones provided at stations is an excellent idea, and one which CityRail has
moved into the Hunter Lines (and possibly elsewhere - not sure).

Given that all guard's compartments are now fitted with the high-security
locks (rather than the square hole like before) surely they could fit roller
blind destination signs, in the same location as Melbourne - i.e. at the
bottom of the window on the guard's side of the cab.

Just on this though - would a double blind (as in Sydney Buses) be better?
Then there would only need to be one Campbelltown on the top blind, and all
the "vias" on the bottom blind.

Otherwise, you would be faced with 6 Macarthurs, 6 Campbelltowns, 6
Glenfields, 5 Liverpools.....you get my drift.

Dave