Re: [NSW] V set Destination Indicators

Ken Neate said in message <8aubqi$sa3$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au>, I
therefore quote:

>"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
>38d2227f$0$14636@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:38d2227f$0$14636@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
>> But to be honest, indicators don't really work like this. Basically
>> only 2 modes of public transport need indicators on themselves: buses,
>> light rail (that shares tracks with other physical or logical lines).
>> With trains
>that
>> share physical/logical lines with each other such as Sydney the aim
>> would
>be
>> reliable info on the platform.
>>
>Disagree. Up trains from Campbelltown to Glenfield can be going to St
>Marys, City via Granville, City via Regent's Park, City via Bankstown,
>City via East Hills and Sydenham, (soon) City via East Hills and Airport
>and sometimes Olympic Park. 7 possibilities. Most of the stations have
>only the clock face type indicators which are of limited use (and no use
>when the station is unmanned). Passengers rely on announcements or ask
>the guard. Pity the irregular train user.

When I was in Sydney recently, I stood at Tempe waiting for an East Hills
train. Of all the T sets that came through, not one had it's desto set, or
at least the desto wasn't visible. Since all trains were using two of the
four possible platforms, that complicated matters. It was lucky I
encountered a sociable guard, who told me that the East Hills train was
right behind him, by a few minutes.

However, if you are not a regular traveller, you would not know to go and
ask the guard and may end up asking the driver who will tell you to get
stuffed because it's not his job (as seen here recently). Where we see this
example, it's pretty evident that Cityrail don't want more customers than
they already have (and can handle, it seems, at least during peak).

>A working (and correct) indicator on the train should be mandatory
>unless EVERY station can be fitted with indicators which can be clearly
>seen from all along the platform and work for every train whether the
>station is manned or not and are completely clear as to the destination
>of the next train.

Correct, Melbourne are almost there. There's still the occasional train
that doesn't show it's destination, BUT it only really seems to happen on
lines that you don't really have a choice. Even then, I haven't seen any
lately. Why is it that Melbourne can get their desto's correct in the
1920's but Sydney still can't get it right in 2000? (Okay, it's not the new
millennium yet, nor century. That happens at the end of _this_ year).

Regards

Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski. / Email: mailto:mk@netstra.com.au
Rail Enthusiast.  / Web: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk

 ** Don't steal. The government hates competition **