Re: [NSW] A few things I saw today (Thursday)

"Jonathan Boles" <mousewithglasses@NO.CANNED.HAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
message 01bf8b4c$bb9d8060$a66f868b@tom-boles">news:01bf8b4c$bb9d8060$a66f868b@tom-boles...
> > * Dunno. We have the Fish, the Chips and The Heron out here... Who makes
the
> > names up?
> >

> OK: Way back last century, there was a guy called John Herron, who drove
steam
> trains up in the Blue mtns. His name was misspelt to Heron, and was given
> today's service from Hornsby to Springwood via Shore. When he drove locos,
his
> nickname was the Big Fish, hence the name of his train which is passed on
> today, The Fish. A service was setup a little later to complement the
Fish, so
> it was only natural to call it the Chips. the Fish and Chips are express
> services Mount Victoria/Lithgow to Sydney. I am pretty sure all this is
> correct. Also, can anyone tell me the source of the "Newcastle Flyer"
train?

The reason for the Fish nickname was that Herron became Herring in typical
nickname fashion, which then became the Fish or Big Fish.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton