Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

Michael Kurkowski (mk@netstra.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> I don't see why you can't convert current rollongstock from 5'3" to 4'8.5"
> without a little bit of work. My only exception to that of course, would be
> the steam locos that were designed for a certain guage and that's it.

Anything designed after Clapp is capable of being converted to standard
gauge. This includes the H, R, J and North British N.

> That said though, would there be many loading guage issues with narrowing
> guage of said rollingstock? (i.e. Z van tips over and lands on person who
> steps onto running board because of a higher centre of gravity - okay, not
> that dramatic)

There was a standard gauge Z van for use on NE sg ballast trains.

> Someone mentioned in a previous post, that the sleeping cars would need to
> be retired - What is the problem with them going over to the narrow guage
> (NSW narrow, not QLD toy guage).

The problem is finding enough bogies, and somewhere to put them in
Melbourne.

Cheers
David