Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

david wrote in message <38C32016.9C8695FC@nmit.vic.edu.au>...

>If  BG is converted to SG, what is the future of the preserved BG fleet ?
Where
>will they run ??? - any line of length  would not be left  BG, will they
???
>Would WCR go SG ?? ( they could with their "S" "B" "T" even "R" classes.
>
>The end of the Steamrail tours in sight ???
>
>What will happend to the "Y" "D3" etc that cannot be converted to SG ?
>Relagated like the SA locos to some small branchline where the locos cannot
>perform ????
>
>What  us the future, that we know ?
>
>David

The likely scenario is like what happenned to SteamRanger in SA.  Although I
can't see all lines is Victoria converted to SG, especially Sale, Swan Hill,
and Warnambool I think that these will be BG for a long long time to come.

It is only those groups prepared for the change that will survive.  Only
those who have made provision for SG that will last in the long run.

Standardisation is vital for Rail's long term survival in Victoria.  I don't
think think those at Freight Australia, NRC, ASR or ATN can put rail history
preservation first before their own survival, but it would be a huge relief
if they did assist in the changeover.

regards,
Grahame