Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
FCGw4.1553$fh4.496458@news0.optus.net.au">news:FCGw4.1553$fh4.496458@news0.optus.net.au...
> david (david@nmit.vic.edu.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> > If  BG is converted to SG, what is the future of the preserved BG fleet
? Where
> > will they run ???
>
> The metropolitan and commuter lines (Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour
> and Traralgon) would remain BG, and probably Warrnambool. There is no
> economic justification for regauging the commuter lines.
Apart from the benifits of standardization.
All they have to do is order the new rolling stock with standard gauge
bogies,convert each line as the rolling stock arrives and the jobs done,its
not all that difficult especially where there are up/down tracks or
alternative routes to minimise dislocation.Its all been done before and the
experienced people who did it are even more experienced and are just waiting
to go.

> The down line between Castlemaine and Bendigo might be regauged to give
> access to Echuca and beyond via Maryborough. There is little interstate
> traffic from the Gippsland and Warrnambool lines, and that which does is
> exist is mostly in containers.
Mind you though,last week FA was just a rumour now its fact.Whats to say
next week an announcement is not made that xyz has won a contract to
transport garbage from Sydney ,Bendigo,Warnambool,Adelaide,and 1/2 dozen
other places around Oz to Morwell where it will be treated and eventually
buried in an abandoned open cut mine.
I think in these times we need to keep an open mind and try to remember that
things are different now and expect the unexpected from the overseas
operators.
Graeme