Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

> All they have to do is order the new rolling stock with standard gauge
> bogies,convert each line as the rolling stock arrives and the jobs
done,its
> not all that difficult especially where there are up/down tracks or
> alternative routes to minimise dislocation.Its all been done before
and the
> experienced people who did it are even more experienced and are just
waiting
> to go.
It would be hard, how do you convert rail tracks in city loop?? and
what about lower patron lines like Alanmein/Willamstowns/Stony Point
line? is it worthy to do so? I believe most of the SG<->BG conversion
jobs are done in lower train frequency area. If you are going to do
such conversion in very busy are like between Footscrary and South
Yarra, the train services would be disrupted severely.

> > The down line between Castlemaine and Bendigo might be regauged to
give
> > access to Echuca and beyond via Maryborough. There is little
interstate
> > traffic from the Gippsland and Warrnambool lines, and that which
does is
> > exist is mostly in containers.
> Mind you though,last week FA was just a rumour now its fact.Whats to
say
> next week an announcement is not made that xyz has won a contract to
> transport garbage from Sydney ,Bendigo,Warnambool,Adelaide,and 1/2
dozen
> other places around Oz to Morwell where it will be treated and
eventually
> buried in an abandoned open cut mine.
> I think in these times we need to keep an open mind and try to
remember that
> things are different now and expect the unexpected from the overseas
> operators.
> Graeme
Traralgon/Latrobe Valley line have interstate traffic potential, the
only problem is once again....Melbourne Suburban! No doubt you need a
separation between Suburban trains and freight trains to minimise
disruption. It would be expensive to do so inbewteen Pakenham and South
Dynon due to space limitation and land price.

--
Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/