Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

In article <38C32016.9C8695FC@nmit.vic.edu.au>,
  david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> Brian Evans (IOM) wrote:  and I cut :
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > The only way to fix this problem in relation to SG vs BG in
Victoria is to
> > adopt the plan and business case for the complete conversion of all
tracks
> > in Vic to SG.  A cost model has been developed and from memory I
believe it
> > was set about about AUD $250m to convert the entire state. From
memory John
> > Holland quoted on the entire project.
Hmm! a lot cheaper then upgrade Geelong Highway!! <---260 Million$

> > If this was done, the benefits of having SG through the entire
state would
> > pay for the $250m-$300m investment very quickly from an
infrastructure
> > viewpoint, however, it would remove (somewhat) F/A's grip on Vic as
other
> > operators would surely move into this market.  Someone needs to
bite the
> > bullet amd MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Gauge problem WON'T  stop operators compet with another. Have you heard
of Freight Corp is about to run coal trains in Queensland despite
Freight corp have NO narrow gauge locos at all? FA won couple of SG
contracts in NSW also.

> > Regards,
> > Brian
>
> If  BG is converted to SG, what is the future of the preserved BG
fleet ? Where
> will they run ??? - any line of length  would not be left  BG, will
>they ???
> Would WCR go SG ?? ( they could with their "S" "B" "T" even "R"
>classes.
That's not a problem, I think the problem would be Melbourne, what if
during the conversion the work disrputes Hillside/Bayside commuter
services? and is it worthy to convert city loop into SG? Epping line?
Willamstown line? Stony Point line?

> The end of the Steamrail tours in sight ???
Puffing Billy is restoring a Garrat engine it wasn't run on PB's
gauge.

--
Cheers

James