Re: INDIAN PACIFIC

<38C10107.A14F9BE2@enternet.com.au>...
> >Dave Proctor wrote:
> >>

> >> What a lot of rot (only the part that MotoRail is part of the
freight
> >> market). The rates charged for unaccompanied vehicles is far
higher than
> >> that charged by freight operators that it is not viable to use
this means
> >> transport vehicles. (I don't have exact figures, but this is what
I was
> told
> >> by a senior person at AN about 4 years ago, and he did have access
> exact
> >> figures).
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> >Motorail is affected by the freight market and unaccompanied rates
have got
> >nothing to do with it.  Its the differential in price that the
competition
> offer
> >(road trucking companies) for transport of cars which make it
possible for
> GSR
> >to charge commensurately higher ACCOMPANIED rates for Westbound
vehicles
> than
> >Eastbound.  If you are going to do a trans-Australian holiday with
your car
> but
> >don't fancy driving both ways you could get your car carried by
truck one
> way
> >and fly separately - but because of the competition it will be
cheaper to
> truck
> >it Eastbound because of the discount backloading rates.
>
> And as someone who has worked in retail travel, I can tell you that
anyone
> who is going to fly one way and train the other is going to hire a
car while
> over there. It would beat the cost of MotoRail and return
transportation
> hands down.
>
> Dave

What about IP's running time compare with NR's Sydney-Perth freight
trains? if IP is faster then it's fare to charge at higher rate.

There was a few times last year and earlier this year GSR given
motorail free of charge for who ever travelled in First class and
holiday class.

--
Cheers

James