Re: INDIAN PACIFIC

Dave Proctor wrote:

> What a lot of rot (only the part that MotoRail is part of the freight
> market). The rates charged for unaccompanied vehicles is far higher than
> that charged by freight operators that it is not viable to use this means to
> transport vehicles. (I don't have exact figures, but this is what I was told
> by a senior person at AN about 4 years ago, and he did have access to exact
> figures).
>
> Dave

Motorail is affected by the freight market and unaccompanied rates have got
nothing to do with it.  Its the differential in price that the competition offer
(road trucking companies) for transport of cars which make it possible for GSR
to charge commensurately higher ACCOMPANIED rates for Westbound vehicles than
Eastbound.  If you are going to do a trans-Australian holiday with your car but
don't fancy driving both ways you could get your car carried by truck one way
and fly separately - but because of the competition it will be cheaper to truck
it Eastbound because of the discount backloading rates.  GSR of course would
like you to take the train hence their discounted Eastbound rate.  Also, dont
ignore the 'migration' market where people are doing one-way trips and want to
take their car with them - same imbalance and same competitive choice -1) drive
the car, 2) train and motorail or 3) fly or bus and put the car on a truck.