Re: [NSW] R/S set driving trailers and converted dts, D40xx/T40xx

There were originally two different types of D class trailers:-

D4011 to D4020 - these were built minus the guard/driver doors behind the
drivers compartment. They can be distinguished not just by the absence of this
door but also by the upper/lower deck windows - there are 4 "and a half"
windows. All other D cars had only 4 normal sized windows on the middle decks.
They started their lives as trailers but were soon banned by the union due to
lack of access. D4011 to D4014 spent a few years on the Illawarra suburban
diesel hauled suburban shuttle in the early to mid 80's immediately prior to
electrication. (See below) All remaining cars are now T.

D4021 to D4095 - I dont know how many series there were here (can anyone
help?) but these are the carriages that look similar to motor cars minus the
panto. They were used as driving trailers until this idea was abandoned. Ten
car in the late 80's were renumbered (anyone help here?) to D4001 to D4010,
the rest remained as trailers. A except a few were converted to trailers and
reallocated to T. D4021 to D4026 spent a few years on the Illawarra suburban
diesel hauled suburban shuttle in the early to mid 80's immediately prior to
electrication. (See below). There is a piccie of one of these trains on
http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix/miscellaneous/index.html

D4096 to D4099 - K set driving trailers. Converted to trailer, reconverted to
driving trailers when sent north for the Newcastle suburban shuttles.

Diesel hauled sets:-
D4011/D4021
D4012/D4022
D4013/D4023