Re: [NSW] R/S set driving trailers and converted dts, D40xx/T40xx

Good post Glenn - cannot help with any of the clarifications you asked for,
BUT....

The sets that operated in the Wollongong region prior to electrification had
diesel generators fitted into some of the cars to provide power for the
lighting and door controls.

These generators made the cars quite filthy on the ends, and it took some
years for the grime to be completely removed.

Dave

Glenn J-B wrote in message <38BF9A43.599ABF61@ihug.com.au>...
>There were originally two different types of D class trailers:-
>
>D4011 to D4020 - these were built minus the guard/driver doors behind the
>drivers compartment. They can be distinguished not just by the absence of
this
>door but also by the upper/lower deck windows - there are 4 "and a half"
>windows. All other D cars had only 4 normal sized windows on the middle
decks.
>They started their lives as trailers but were soon banned by the union due
>lack of access. D4011 to D4014 spent a few years on the Illawarra suburban
>diesel hauled suburban shuttle in the early to mid 80's immediately prior
>electrication. (See below) All remaining cars are now T.
>
>D4021 to D4095 - I dont know how many series there were here (can anyone
>help?) but these are the carriages that look similar to motor cars minus
the
>panto. They were used as driving trailers until this idea was abandoned.
Ten