Re: [NSW] R/S set driving trailers and converted dts, D40xx/T40xx

I posted all the car nos and their series on another thread.

Glenn J-B wrote:

> There were originally two different types of D class trailers:-
>
> D4011 to D4020 - these were built minus the guard/driver doors behind the
> drivers compartment. They can be distinguished not just by the absence of this
> door but also by the upper/lower deck windows - there are 4 "and a half"
> windows.

Ok these were going to be the standard driving trailers but the union
stepped in and it was stopped. These were series 2 cars.

 All other D cars had only 4 normal sized windows on the middle decks.
> They started their lives as trailers but were soon banned by the union due to
> lack of access. D4011 to D4014 spent a few years on the Illawarra suburban
> diesel hauled suburban shuttle in the early to mid 80's immediately prior to
> electrication. (See below) All remaining cars are now T.
>
> D4021 to D4095 - I dont know how many series there were here (can anyone
> help?) but these are the carriages that look similar to motor cars minus the
> panto. They were used as driving trailers until this idea was abandoned. Ten

Ok these are power cars that didn't make it. In other words if you put a
compressor (the space is stll there) pantos and motors etc you have a
power car. This was the "new design" driving trailer.
4021-4070 series 3
4071 - 4095 series 4.

> car in the late 80's were renumbered (anyone help here?) to D4001 to D4010,

Series 4 I have been told. I also think it goes up to 4012.

> the rest remained as trailers. A except a few were converted to trailers and
> reallocated to T. D4021 to D4026 spent a few years on the Illawarra suburban
> diesel hauled suburban shuttle in the early to mid 80's immediately prior to
> electrication. (See below). There is a piccie of one of these trains on
> http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix/miscellaneous/index.html
>
> D4096 to D4099 - K set driving trailers. Converted to trailer, reconverted to
> driving trailers when sent north for the Newcastle suburban shuttles.
>
> Diesel hauled sets:-
> D4011/D4021
> D4012/D4022
> D4013/D4023
> D4014/D4024
> D4025/D4026

There are 4 semi converted D's still getting arround, one was involved
in the dderailment at Hornsby last year I think it is 4091 but can't be
sure.I think it is still at Maintrain.

rgds