Re: [VIC] government announcement re rail upgrades

> linking north Dynon BG to Dock Link Rd),pass services to

This sounds to me like the vic government or V/Line or BOTH were a bit hasty
in pulling up the Swanston Dock railway siding. Perhaps this would now be
getting busy as The Victorian Railways through Freight Victoria are actually
allowed to do business since the demise of the Kennett Government.

> http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/pressrel , What's New - Last 14 days ,  PREMIER
> UNVEILS LINKING VICTORIA PLAN TO BOOST JOBS AND INVESTMENT

This is about time.  Kennett ran the system into the ground. Hopefully, some
of the new management will be in a position to develop new opportunities for
rail access within Victoria.

> Webb Dock Rail
>
> Detailed planning will be undertaken to investigate the logistics and
> feasibility of an estimated $50 million project of extending rail lines to
> Webb Dock.

Whgy was the Webb Dock railway line lifted in the first place?

> STANDARDISATION OF RAILWAY GAUGES
>
> Victoria has a historical legacy of a mixture of broad and standard gauge
> railway tracks across the State. This constrains the efficient flow of
> freight around Victoria by requiring double handling of goods such as the
> movement of grain from the north-west to the port at Portland.

Any ideas of what lines would go first?

Regards,
Brian