Re: [VIC] R766's first trip as an oil burner (was: [VIC] Wakool trip, R766 or R711?)

James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> Stuart Thyer wrote:
> >
> > But when it is, Steamrail, WCR and R766 inc are planning a return to service
> > as an oil burner. If all goes to plan it will involve 3 R's, photostops and
> > high speed running. You will probably hear about the plan in the next few
> > weeks, we plan to tell everyone what the trip will be so that you are keen
> > and ready to book for when we know an actual date for the completion of 766.

> Will it be a triple header all the way or will we get to see the two
> super R's on their own? I prefer double headers instead of triple
> headers, especially on a train of about 10 cars. If it is a triple
> header all the way I probably won't bother with this trip.

The original idea for a triple header (in pre-R711 days) was dismissed out
of hand for reasons unknown.

Spencer St - Bank Box Loop with 3 Rs up front, non-stop at Bacchus Marsh.
Return to Bacchus Marsh with one R trailing. Take water (make locos heavier!)
Bacchus Marsh - Bank Box Loop with 2 up front and one banking.
Run rear R to the front.
Triple header to Ballarat. Turn locos.
Triple header to Spencer St via North Shore.

The advantage of Ingliston Bank (and to a lesser extent Warrenheip) is
that everybody can see the locos from just about anywhere on even a 14 car
train.

Cheers
David