Re: [VIC] R766's first trip as an oil burner (was: [VIC] Wakool trip, R766 or R711?)

David Bromage wrote:

> The original idea for a triple header (in pre-R711 days) was dismissed out
> of hand for reasons unknown.
>
> Spencer St - Bank Box Loop with 3 Rs up front, non-stop at Bacchus Marsh.
> Return to Bacchus Marsh with one R trailing. Take water (make locos heavier!)
> Bacchus Marsh - Bank Box Loop with 2 up front and one banking.
> Run rear R to the front.
> Triple header to Ballarat. Turn locos.
> Triple header to Spencer St via North Shore.

707 operations did something similar to this a few years ago but it was
only to Bank Box Loop. If I remember correctly it wasn't very
successful. I don't even like triple headed steam locos because I think
they look stupid, especially on a train that only needs two locos.

> The advantage of Ingliston Bank (and to a lesser extent Warrenheip) is
> that everybody can see the locos from just about anywhere on even a 14 car
> train.

Unless you're on the wrong side of the BK's around the horse shoe curve!
:-)

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: