Re: [NSW] Gauntlet Track

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:36:28 +1000, "Marc Hunt" <march@pip.com.au>
wrote:

>Lets not forget the Old Hawksbury River Bridge was turned into a gauntlet
>operated by electric staff to take the stresses and weight off the cracked
>pylon whilst the new bridge was being built.

Not only at the END of its life.

For some reason, the section Hawkesbury River - Wondabyne (a different
Wondabyne to today's) was converted back from double-track to single,
worked by electric staff, in about 1893. But, I don't think it was
gauntleted.  When the rest of the line was doubled, in the 1910s?, the
bridge was re-opened as a double track section.

Geoff Lambert