Re: [Vic] Spark transfer to Somerton (3/6/2000)

Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message
> HXP1 wrote:
> > Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message

(ARTC?)

> > > Yes making it Number 8 dwarf that showed :

> > > RED: Stop
> > > YELLOW: Move from no's 3 or 4 to Blue Circle
> > > GREEN: Move from no's 3 or 4 to Donnybrook Loop

> > Although I haven't seen it physically yet I beleive the Crossing Loop
> > extention at the down end means that No. 3 Rd now contunues past the SG
> > lead into Blue Circle, so Dwarf SOM/V6 now only applies onto the
> > Intercapital Main Line.

> > Presumably it doesn't display a Yellow aspect anymore.

> > SOM/8 is the Up Home. |-)

> No, I said 'Number 8 dwarf', - contolled by lever 8 in the frame,  known
as
> SOM/V6 to the SG controller.

> I have not seen any updated diagrams for Somerton (Chris, have you got
one),
> but as the siding to Blue Circle from 3&4 is not a signalled siding, I
would
> still *assume* that SOM/V6 still shows Yellow for that Route as a 'low
speed
> caution' signal.

My explanation was a bit confused:

                         |-0-0 6
No. 1----------------------------------------------
                         |-0-0 U6    /  8 0-0-|
No. 2-------------------------------/
                         |-OO V6/8 /
No. 3-----------------------------/
           /      \
No. 4-----/        \----- Blue Circle

I hope the picture is clearer (& accurate).

This appeared on WN 6/2000, & may explain a bit better:

SOMERTON LOOP
No. 3 Track

DWARF SIGNALS SOM V6 & NO. 7

Advice has been received from A.R.T.C. that on Thursday 27.1.2000, the
following track and signalling alterations took effect at Somerton Loop:

- Up Dwarf Signal No.7 was abolished.

- No.5 points (provided for movements from No.2 Track to No.3 Track at the
Down end of Somerton Loop) were converted to single ended points with catch
points.  The original Up end of No.5 points has been converted to WSA hand
points.

- Down Dwarf Signal No. SOM V6 has been relocated to a new position on the
Up side of No.5 Catch points and now only applies for movements from the
lead between No.2 and 3 Tracks to the Standard Gauge Main Line.  SOM V6 no
longer applies to movements from No.3 Track of Somerton Loop to No.3A Track.

Operating Procedure No.99 (Section 34) of the Book of Rules and Operating
Procedures is temporarily suspended whilst the yard management of Somerton
is finalised.  The following procedures will apply in the interim.

After admitting a Standard Gauge movement into No.3 Track at Somerton Loop,
the A.R.T.C. Train Controller must ensure No.s 1 and 5 points are restored
to the Normal position and a Blocking Command applied to prevent their
movement.

The Blocking Command may be lifted and the points operated when:
1.  A run around movement is required to take place via No. 1 or No.2 Track,
or
2. A Train has departed from No.3 Track at Somerton and information is
received that there are no vehicles standing in No.3 Track after departure.

Under no circumstances will more than one Standard Gauge movement be
admitted from the Main Line to No.3 Track at Somerton.

Broad Gauge Movements

Prior to admitting a Broad Gauge Train to the Yard at Somerton, the
Signaller must first confer with the A.R.T.C. Train Controller to ascertain
whether a Standard Gauge movement is taking place within

No.3 Track.

If a Standard Gauge movement is taking place, the Signaller must instruct
the Driver not to proceed beyond the 'Stop' Board which is situated on the
Up side of the diamond crossover in No.5 Track.  The Signaller must not give
authority for the Broad Gauge movement to proceed beyond the 'Stop' Board
until the Standard Gauge Train has departed Somerton Loop.

If a Standard Gauge movement is not taking place, the Signaller may permit
the Broad Gauge Train to proceed to the Blue Circle Cement Siding if
required.  The A.R.T.C. Train Controller must be advised in order that No.s
1 & 5 points may be secured in the Normal position.  When the movement has
been completed, the Signaller must advise the A.R.T.C. Train Controller
accordingly.

Only One Train is permitted to be operating in No. 3 Track or the lines
which extend from No. 3 Track at any one time.

S.W. 018/2000
W.O.N. 6/2000

--
HXP1