Re: [Vic] Spark transfer to Somerton (3/6/2000)

> > I drove through Clyde-Somerston plant yesterday and noticed there's a
> signal
> > box not far away from Somerston road.
>
> Hmmmm..., yes.
>
> This is Somerton Box.  It controls the Signalling on the Broad Gauge.
> Safeworking on each side is Double Line Block, Somerton needs to be switched
> in for BG trains to access the yard.  Safeworking out on the Upfield line
> is.... IIRC nothing at the moment (worked as a siding).
>
> I can't recall at this point the normal switching hours for Somerton, but
> IIRC it's usually switched out on Weekends.

Something like 5am to clearance of some train about 8am (the cement
train).  Does Somerton Box Control movements along No.3 road of the SG
loop, it ARTC will control movements into and out of No.3 road to the
main line, but any sidings, movements to No.4 road, Upfield line (SG)
etc are controlled by Somerton Box?

> The Signalling on the Standard Gauge is controlled from Adelaide by the
> Adelaide Rail Track Coparation.  Err, that should be the Australian Rail
> Track Corporation.  Safeworking on the SG is CTC (Centralised Traffic
> Control).
>
> The BG signalling at Somerton is slightly notable in that it is controlled
> by a Mechanical Frame, the Signals are 3 position, and there is DLB on each
> side.  Of course the Starting Signals into the DLB section are 2 position...
>
> Good excuse for a rant on signalling... |-)

They talk about hijack of Sydney-Melbourne threads, now he can start
Hijack of normal threads to signalling threads.

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig
e-mail - cmgord@alphalink.com.au