Re: [Vic] Spark transfer to Somerton (3/6/2000)

James C <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3938bb3e$0$8452$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3938bb3e$0$8452$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> I drove through Clyde-Somerston plant yesterday and noticed there's a
signal
> box not far away from Somerston road.

Hmmmm..., yes.

This is Somerton Box.  It controls the Signalling on the Broad Gauge.
Safeworking on each side is Double Line Block, Somerton needs to be switched
in for BG trains to access the yard.  Safeworking out on the Upfield line
is.... IIRC nothing at the moment (worked as a siding).

I can't recall at this point the normal switching hours for Somerton, but
IIRC it's usually switched out on Weekends.

The Signalling on the Standard Gauge is controlled from Adelaide by the
Adelaide Rail Track Coparation.  Err, that should be the Australian Rail
Track Corporation.  Safeworking on the SG is CTC (Centralised Traffic
Control).

The BG signalling at Somerton is slightly notable in that it is controlled
by a Mechanical Frame, the Signals are 3 position, and there is DLB on each
side.  Of course the Starting Signals into the DLB section are 2 position...

Good excuse for a rant on signalling... |-)

--
HXP1
(now with v6.08 software)