Re: Why is it called "up"?

Deeg wrote in message <5pw4OWtUwqQ4clq4fHJxb31vnwIb@4ax.com>...
>On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:26:30 +1000, "Derick Wuen"
><cullend@webone.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Anyway... only northern hemisphere hegemonists think that north should be
up
>>on a map!
>>

>You mean I've been reading Aussie maps upside-down all my life?

Must be from North Island.....

>I'm not sure what are the accepted designations with NZ railway lines
>- the timetables have typically not indicated any direction - but,
>popularly, NB is "up" and SB is "down." Very confounding at the
>Raurimu Spiral.
>
>Don Galt

On the spiral, do the down trains ascend the spiral and up trains descend,
i.e. down trains go up and up trains go down? This happens at Border Loop in
northern NSW.

Mercifully up trains climb up the spiral at Bethungra in southern NSW,
whilst down trains avoid it altogether, by going down steeper than the up
track goes up.