Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash

The safety issues are a nonsense.
Yarra W's have had no problems because, AFAIK, their brakes are
regularly checked by a person and maintained properly.

National Xpress have decided, in their wisdom, that instead of having a
man look at the brakes, a machine would do it. The machine has proved
unreliable, hence the rash of rear end collisions and other braking
problems (not all of them as nasty as the recent one, ergo, less
publicity).

Whether this is a conspiracy to get rid of the W's as some have
suggested or merely cost-cutting I don't know. I do know that the
withdrawal of the W's breaches the heritage provisions in the franchise
agreements, and the laxity of brake-checking is putting drivers and
passenger's safety at risk as well as inconveniencing many people when
the collisions happen. The withdrawal of the W's can also be expected
to cause tram shortages as well.

If the Director of PT doesn't come down on them like a ton of bricks
for this, then he should be sacked.

Vaughan

In article <3937BAAB.128F3EE9@enternet.com.au>,
  Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
> The Yarra Ws are remaining in service.  A spokesman was quoted in
today's Age as
> saying that they will watch what Swanston's investigations uncover,
but that
> they have no safety concerns as present.
>
> Evad Rehtona wrote:
> >
> > Chris Gordon wrote:
> > >
> > > From the news:
> > > ================
> > >
> > > Trams withdrawn
> > >
> > > Thirty old W-class trams have been withdrawn following an
> > > accident yesterday that left a tram driver with a broken leg
> > > and head injuries.
> >
> > Are the Yarra Trams Ws being withdrawn, too? Isn't there a
particularly
> > bad W in the Yarra fleet that often has brake problems?
> >
> > And what about the City Circle?
> >
> > One assumes this will affect services severely as there aren't
enough
> > post-1975 trams to cover all the scheduled runs.
> >
> > David McLoughlin
> > Auckland New Zealand

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.