Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash

Chris wrote:

> I can tell you that druiving a car is 100 times less stressful than
> driving a tram. If a car gets into a situation he can always steer away
> from it. At the moment I am learing to drive the W class at Malvern,
> they are a peice of shit and should never have been alowed to survive.

I find your comment interesting.

My brother drove trams from Preston Depot for many years, but would only
drive Ws as he said the Zs were unsafe, in particular he said their
brakes were unsafe. When Zs took over the West Preston route, he
resigned rather than drive them.

I do agree though that those ancient Ws should be retired. The new
articulated trams being bought by Swanston and Yarra should first be
used to pension off the Ws before any Zs are replaced.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand