Re: railway fences (NSW) (was railway line fences(vic)and good neighbours duty of care)

John Wayman <trecker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3982263c$0$11206$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3982263c$0$11206$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> In outback NSW many lines ran through paddocks with cattle grids provided
> where the line crossed fence lines. The railways themselves were never
> fenced.
>
> Was that the standard NSWGR practice or did the policy vary?
>
> Cheers
> John Wayman

I believe it was used as a cost cutting measure on lightly trafficed
branchlines, pioneer lines. Also these lines were usually unballasted or
ballasted with loco ash.

Dave Malcolm